top of page


St Mary the Virgin (Walton Church), St Aidan's and St Nathanael's are part of the Walton Team Ministry, Walton on the Hill. This means that if either of you live in the Parish you have a legal entitlement to marry in any of the churches in the team, provided neither of you have been married before.

Since October 2008, a couple may marry in a church

other than their parish church, if one of the following


. One of them was baptised or prepared for confirmation in the parish.

. One of them has lived in the parish for six months or more.

. One of them has regularly attended public worship in the parish for six months or more.

. One of the parents has lived in the parish for six months or more in their child's lifetime.

. One of their parents has regularly attended public worship there for six months or more in        their child's lifetime.

. Their parents or grandparent married in their church.

Electoral Roll

If you do not live in the parish the only way in which you can marry within the parish area is by becoming a regular worshipper.   After six months you can apply to go on the Electoral Roll.  Only when you are on the Roll can you proceed with booking your wedding.


Banns are an announcement in church of your intention to marry and a chance for anyone to put forward a reason why the marriage may not lawfully take place.

Banns are usually read on the first three Sundays of the proceeding month.   You must make sure your banns are read in the church you have chosen for your wedding and in the parish in which your partner lives.  The clergy will help you find which parish this will be.  If your partner is Roman Catholic the banns are read in their Anglican Parish Church.

If your banns have been called in a church other than the church you have chosen for your wedding, you will need to pay for and collect the certificate and bring it to the rehearsal.  Without it we cannot proceed with the wedding.

You are more than welcome, and indeed encouraged, to attend to hear your banns read.


There is no need to book a registrar.  Every ordained Anglican Cleric is a registrar and will be functioning both spiritually and legally at the wedding.


It is usual to have two witnesses.  These are usually the Best Man and the Chief Bridesmaid, but do not have to be.   Witnesses should be over 18 years old.

Roman Catholics

There is absolutely no problem if one of the parties is a Roman Catholic.   If you want your marriage to be recognised by the Roman Catholic Church then you will need to see your Priest about getting a "Dispensation From Canonical Form".    We would welcome the attendance of your priest at the wedding, if you want him to take part.   However there are various parts of the wedding which the Anglican Cleric must perform due to legal reasons.  We can discuss this further when we meet in private if you wish.


If one or both partners have been divorced then marriage in church is possible depending on the circumstances of the divorce.   Arrange a meeting with the clergy to talk through the issues.


Sometimes couples have married legally abroad or had a low key civil wedding, but would still like a church service for family and friends.   Some couples like to renew their vows on special anniversaries.  The Church of England service is called "Thanksgiving for marriage"

It is possible to renew your wedding vows any time after your wedding day.  

For more information

To find out more about having your wedding in one of the Walton Team Ministry churches, please call 0151 525 3130.

bottom of page